Monday, May 3, 2010

Souffle Cheesecake


I challenged myself to another recipe from my Japanese Cheesecake Book - this time, a souffle cheesecake. Since the instructions are impeccable, I had no trouble following. The only problem was my own clumsiness and stupidity.

The book uses M size eggs. I thought this was a boon, until Mommy started stocking up on Jumbo size eggs that have 2 yolks in them! I was happy at first, but it started getting to be a problem, especially with the souffle, which relies a lot on eggs for body. My mistake was that I just haphazardly guesstimated the amount of eggs to use. The next day, I weighed the eggs, and found out that the jumbo eggs weighed 77g with shells on! L size eggs are about 60g, and M size ones about 50g. Thankfully, it didn't ruin my cheesecake, but it did have an eggy taste. My taste testers still loved it, though.

Most of my post-baking disasters are due to my impatience and stupidity :(

Personally, I consider this a semi-disaster. The cheesecake was baked in a water bath, and I placed two layers of foil on the bigger pan (6 inch instead of 7 inches because of my stupidity). Nothing seeped through, but the smaller 4-inch pan didn't fare as well. It was very soggy because I didn't take enough care to seal the bottom with foil. I was actually confident nothing would seep through. This little experiment proved me wrong.

On hindsight, I should've filled up the pan with more hot water, but I had to keep the water level low due to the smaller pan. I took the cheesecake out a few minutes before the allotted time because the top was starting to look dark. It looked baked on the outside and on top, but when I cut through it, I realized that the bottom was still underbaked! It was the part that was submerged in water. I should've known - next time, I'll fill the water halfway up, and do the toothpick test (I skipped that).

I also had a disaster unmolding the cake. It was still hot as I handled it and placed it upside down on a plate. The nice baked top skin peeled right off. Really, someone needs to hammer patience into me....

No comments: