Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Marimorimo's Classic Donburi Made Better

The donburi even shot beautifully!

Armed with my newfound realizations, I decided to tackle my 'signature' donburi dish (the recipe from the Bento Cookbook). Even when I didn't know what I was doing, this recipe hasn't failed me yet. But I wanted to see if my newfound knowledge would influence my take on this dish.

I followed the instructions more closely this time, instead of winging it. I didn't have enoki mushrooms so I subbed dried reconstituted mushrooms. The mushrooms took it over the top and beyond. They were so rich and flavorful. I think it's the naturally-occuring glutamate in the mushrooms (I've read of this somewhere before).

I may have browned the meat too much (and it didn't taste as rich as the mushrooms!).

Next time, I'll brown the meat just enough for it to change color, then put in half the sauce so it will take more time for the sauce to seep through the meat and develop the flavor. I prefer softer meat to tougher fried meat.

It was a good move of me to double the amount of sauce. It was just right. And I didn't play around with the sauce ratios either. It was just right. I think the meat and vegetable ratios are just right, though I just eyeballed them. Unlike when I usually go overboard and toss everything in, even the finished dish looked picture-perfect!

My previous 'revelation' has definitely started influencing my cooking, and I'm looking forward to cooking more!

No comments: