Monday, May 3, 2010

Pork and Cabbage Stir Fry Take 2

In my previous cooking post, I mentioned the importance of learning technique in cooking - something I was seriously lacking in. So tonight, armed with cobbled-up know-how from painful experience and elsewhere, I decided to revisit an old favorite, Pork and Cabbage Stir Fry.

For the first time, I actually knew what I was doing.

This is a simple formula I got from Hiro-kun's dad. Previous attempts to replicate it produced soggy messes. This time, I decided to focus more on technique and the right proportions and set out to create a better version (perfect may be pushing it).

I made sure to dry the meat before placing them on the well-heated pan. I made sure not to overcrowd the pan. I think I was successful because I noticed that the meat was browning - I have never been able to achieve this before. I was afraid the meat might overcook while I sauted the vegetables so I temporarily removed them from the pan, but later I found out this fear was unfounded. If anything, I wish I cooked the meat more. I used only half a head of a small cabbage, and it was just right. The cabbage cooked very quickly - too quickly for my expectations. In the end, I think they were slightly overcooked, but not so much so they still to tasted good. I put in the sauce last (concocted using miso paste, mirin, sugar, and my tastebuds). I added a sprinkling of black pepper in the end. I think I could use a tad bit more sauce. I was afraid of another goopy mess so I held back on the sauce this time. I think I also made the right decision by making the sauce more sauce than liquid. I added a sprinkling of black pepper in the end. When the dish cooled slightly, I could see there was some watery residue at the bottom, though I never added water.

All in all, I think this was a successful dish. The meat could use a bit more browning and a bit more sauce, and the vegetables slightly less cooked. These improvements I could work on and tweak next time. Amazing what knowledge of what exactly you are doing does to your work and methods. I'm inspired to study cooking science more. Alton Brown and a bunch of other cooking books, here I come...!!! (Now if only I had an unlimited budget...*sigh* I could be raiding Amazon US and Amazon Japan right now.)

No comments: