Friday, April 30, 2010

Double Chocolate Banana Muffins

I know I said previously that I just can't fall in love with Banana Bread, but there's a banana combination that I absolutely adore - Banana and Chocolate! It's all because of this wonderful cake that I shed 200 yen for in Jusco long ago - a whole banana wrapped in whipped cream and chocolate sponge cake . It was heaven, and it took all of my willpower not to succumb to the 200 yen temptation every time I was at the grocery store.

Well this recipe is far from that heavenly memory from long ago, but it combines two good things - banana and chocolate. I got the recipe from this thread in ChowHound.

The muffins were so dense they didn't rise much

The recipe had banana, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Sounds really good, right? I cut the sugar in the recipe to half, but the muffins still tasted sweet due to all the bananas in there. Speaking of bananas, I'm pretty sure I went overboard with the mashed banana, because I was desperate to keep them moist for more than a day. The result wasn't bad, but the muffins didn't rise much and they were very heavy, as commented by my co-worker, Ma'am Ruth.


Ma'am Jeng liked them, and I got comments that said they were full of flavor and had just the right sweetness (I thought they were too sweet). They weren't bad, but I think they were missing complexity of flavor. They didn't taste very chocolaty to me too :( If I'll make these again, I'll add some coffee powder, vanilla, and use the correct amount of mashed bananas!

No comments: